REPORTS TO: General Manager
This is a full-time exempt position for which no overtime benefits are received.
DESCRIPTION: The overall objective of the H. R. Manager is to ensure that North 60° Petro, Ltd., is operating in compliance with various regulations and statutes as they relate to employment issues, to protect the company from exposure to liability as it may relate to the company’s personnel procedures. To promote positive moral through effective employee relations and education about the company benefit programs.
This position has oversight of human resources activities North 60° Petro (Canada).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise managers and supervisors on employee issues, complaints, performance reviews, and general matters of HR including compliance and risk management as it pertains to employment practices.
- Work with HR Team of parent company, Petro 49, Inc., in collaborating and unifying the companies in HR practices, and in developing and maintaining company employee handbook, supervisor manuals and employee performance evaluation programs and other policy and procedure manuals. Maintain regular communications with the Petro 49, lnc. HR team via telephone and email
- Consult with managers and supervisors to assure that company policies and practices, as well as labor related laws at each governmental level are being adhered to, and that proper skills are being used in dealing with personnel matters.
- Interact with supervisory personnel in making decisions regarding hiring and termination practices and employee counseling procedures to assure all policies and regulations with regard to such are being adhered to.
- Investigate employee complaints and utilize critical thinking skills to bring complaints to resolution. Responsible for leading and defending investigations or complaints.
Manage enrollment processes for employee benefit programs. Inform employees of changes in employee benefit programs and provide them with information and educational materials which will enable them to understand our various employee benefit programs.
- Implement policies and procedures regarding various personnel practices. If applicable, work with management in administering a company drug testing plan including an employee assistance program to educate employees and their supervisors of the recognition and effects of substance abuse.
- Oversee the maintenance of employee personnel files, training records and driver qualification files and other related files.
- Interact with employees, managers, insurance brokers, adjusters, and underwriters regarding worker’s compensation claims in order to return injured employees to work as quickly as possible, utilizing light duty whenever possible.
- Manage and process bi-weekly payroll.
- All other duties as they relate to human resource management as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Requires considerable knowledge and application of federal, provincial and territorial, and municipal government employment laws and regulations.
- Requires solid understanding and application of union employment rules and allowable employment practices in working with unionized work force and adherence to Bargaining Agreement.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be effective in oral and written communication while assisting supervisors and employees with issues over the telephone.
- Requires extensive knowledge of human resource compliance requirements. Must be familiar with Canadian law relating to personnel file maintenance, Transport Canada (DOT) random drug testing administration if applicable, workers compensation and employee benefits administration.
- Must be capable of working effectively under time constraints to comply with regulatory deadlines. Requires thorough understanding of e-mail, word processing and spreadsheet applications.
Needs to possess ability to remain calm under pressure and represent North 60° Petro, Ltd. and the Human Resources department in a professional and courteous manner.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; HRCI certification of PHR. 5 years experience in a human resources related field performing at an exempt level. Strong generalist background required including extensive knowledge of employment laws and regulations. Must have excellent communication and administrative skills. Must be able to travel on short notice when necessary. Intermediate accounting skills and advanced PC skills desirable.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret regulatory compliance and technical legal statutes. Ability to respond to difficult inquiries or complaints from employees, customers, or service providers. Ability to write and effectively communicate utilizing e-mail. Ability to communicate effectively with all employees and facilitate problem resolutions.
Individual may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods through out the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file paperwork. Proper lifting techniques required. Must be able to occasionally lift 30 lbs., routinely lift 10 lbs.
For the most part, exposure is ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
North 60 Petro. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. North 60 Petro promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans. North 60 Petro promotes a smoke-free workplace and as such, limits smoking at all facilities and is a drug-free workplace.